Some people may think its about clearing your head and thinking about “nothing”. But in theory it’s actually more than that, its stepping back and hearing your thoughts without judgment with a relaxed but a focused mind.
The world and our lives get busier and more “urgent” thanks to the internet, our phones, and life in general. Our thoughts and feelings are constantly moving from one thing to the next without a break.
The benefits of staying in the moment during a workout:
- Increase the effectiveness of your workout
- Decrease chances of injury
- Enhance enjoyment in exercising
- A stronger connection to your body
- Decreased depression and anxiety
- Increased satisfaction from a workout
Some mindful techniques you can apply to your workout:
- If you’re running or jogging on the treadmill switch your attention to the sound of your shoes, the rhythm of your breath and the movement of your arm swing. Notice how you feel before and after your run
- While stretching, bring your attention to the area you are stretching, take deeper breaths, close your eyes. This can impact how you open up your body and fall into the stretch easier.
- Remind yourself to breathe, it’s the simplest way to deal with stress, and bring yourself into the current moment.• Switch off your phone, and remove your watch or leave them in the car that way you wont be distracted by the notifications